Risotto dish originated from Northern Italy where the rice is cooked with various ingredients such as broth, mushrooms, onions and even apples turning them into cream and delicious consistency. It seems to be an easy recipe for one pot dish, but it requires skill and knowledge in order to turn into a masterpiece. There are some steps to follow before we attempt to prepare risotto, especially for the first time. Check our ultimate recipe for risotto with mushrooms and us know your comments.
2 cups (500g) of arborio rice
6 cups of broth (1500ml) – can be chicken or vegetable stock
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 green pepper
50g of butter
50g spring onion
2 cubes of stock – chicken or vegetable
2 Tbs olive oil
1 glass of white wine
- Prepare the broth. I used 2 cubes of chicken broth with 6 cups of water and boiled the stock over high heat. Leave with the cover to keep it warm for later.
- Cut onion, mushrooms, peppers, garlic and spring onions in small cubes. Prepare a tall pot for risotto reduce the heat to medium. Add the olive oil, red onion and toast it until translucent and fragrant.
- Add butter and mushrooms. Cook down until soft and tender. When the mushrooms are ready add garlic, salt, pepper and herbs of your choice. You can use thyme, basil, oregano, etc.
- Add the rice and stir it until fully mixed with the mashroom mixture. You need to toast it, but be don’t burn it.
- Add glass of white wine and when it’s fully cooked off start gradually adding the stock. Please be aware this step is very important. You add just enough stock to cover the rice and stir constantly until it’s absorbed. This will take around 15-20 minutes.
- Risotto is ready when the rice is al dente and it has creamy texture.
- Add on top some grated parmezan and your risotto is ready!
One Comment Add yours