When it comes to Greek cuisine, there is a full myriad of recipes with delicious stuffed vegetables, especially zucchini. However, no matter how many variations of stuffed zucchini (Greek ‘Κολοκυθάκια γεμιστά ‘) is out there, we found a perfect recipe that cannot simply go wrong with your taste buds. It’s easy to prepare, although you need to spare some extra time for zucchinis and vegetables, it’s really worth it. Also, the egg-lemon sauce is a total bang when mixed with the stuffed flesh zucchinis and season with fresh herbs.
Portions: 12 stuffed zucchinis
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1h
1 clove of garlic
5-6 tablespoon olive oil
150 g basmati rice
50 g white wine
500 g water
400 g ground beef
1/3 bunch of parsley
1/3 bunch of mint
1/3 bunch of dill
Lemon zest from 1 lemon
1 tablespoon from lemon juice
Egg Lemon Sauce:
80 g butter
80 g all-purpose flour
1 chicken stock cube
Lemon zest from 2 lemons
Lemon juice from 2 lemons
1 pinch of nutmeg
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon of dill
1 tablespoon of parsley
1 tablespoon of mint
- Cut zucchini in half and remove the ends. Use spoon or vegetable corer to remove the zucchini’s flesh. Thanks to that you create space to add the filling. Place them in a bowl.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Cut the carrot and half of the zucchini flesh into cubes.
- Place the wok pan on high heat and wait until it warms up. Then add 3 tbs of olive oil to the hot pan. Add chopped the vegetables, salt and pepper. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, until they caramelize.
- Add the basmati rice, the ground beef, wine and 250ml water. Lower heat to medium and cook everything for about 3-4 minutes. It should be ready when the water evaporates.
- Add finely chopped herbs finely, salt and pepper for taste and mix thoroughly.
- When rice and beef is ready, start filling the zucchini with a spoon.
- Arrange stuffed zucchini in a separate pot and add 250ml 2-3 tbs olive oil, satl and pepper. Place it over low heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes when the zucchinis are soft, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare egg-lemon sauce. Place a saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Add flour and whisk it until the mixture becomes homogenous. Sauté the sauce until turns light golden.
- Continue whisking and add water in batches. Then add the bouillon cube and mix until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the sauce from heat. Add the rest of ingredients – lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg yolks, dill and parsley. Mix eveything together.
- The the sauce is ready you can serve stuffed zucchini with the egg lemon sauce, fresh herbs and lemon slices.